Overthinking on Subsurface mobile app UX

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jun 20 22:45:53 PDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 06:52:58AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:

> > http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-mobile-4.6.4.225-arm.apk
> >
> > With a different design based on Willem's and Linus' input...

And no, I'm not serious about that color...

> Attached an image comparing the usual list layout with the latest one. A few
> points:
>
> 1) The vertical space taken up for each dive is reduced in the new layout. I
> love that.

:-)

> 2) Longer individual dive location descriptions without truncation in the
> new version. I love that.

:-]

> 3) I tend to have long dive trip names. In the new version this is
> truncated. See image. Would it be possible to have them in multiple lines as
> in the usual list layout? (preferably using less vertical space than in the
> usual layout).

I'm sure I can make that happen. I thought the space that I had now would
be sufficient, but you are clearly the counter example.

> 4) The day-of-week information in the usual list layout is, I think, very
> useful. It adds four characters to the second line of information for each
> dive. I suspect this could be added to the new layout without causing
> congestion on that line?

It's a trivial change - but I've heard preferences both ways. Maybe this
needs to be a user specific setting after all.

> 5) Whatever layout and colour scheme we change to, I think one should keep
> in mind that one day we will be able to collapse the trips so that only trip
> headers will be visible onscreen. We need a layout now that will not need
> any re-design when we reach that stage.

I hope we'll find a good implementation that allows us to bring folding
trips back. And I think the current design would work for that.

> 6) I agree with Davide that the classic colour scheme would look more
> native. But I really do not care too much about colours. It is the
> functionality that matters.

Yes, the AirBlue that's in the current app wasn't a serious proposal. I am
working on something with colors from the Android color palette.

Please keep the input going. As I think you've seen, Davide's excellent
proposals are starting to pay off. I tend to always push back a little
(because we'll never make everyone happy), but I do try to make sure I at
least try to implement the better ideas.