Planner screencast

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 08:49:06 PDT 2017

On 30 March 2017 at 17:17, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> What I would like is a different point of view. Define a "problem" first.
> Such as: we like to plan a recreational dive, we like to look at differences
> in VPM-B and Buhlmann, we like to plan a dive to 80m with 20min bottom time,
> and like to compare different bailout scenario's for that. And with that
> problem defined, show how it can be planned using the planner. So a little
> opposite as the style it is now. Now, it explains more or less way the
> program works, and not from a diving problem to start with. Obviously, we
> should not try to make "an online dive course", but I would like a "dive
> planning problem" to be central.

100% agree

One (or even three) chapters/video would be planner setup related
I'm sure that 90% of users would not change planner settings once
properly set. And from user POV and sw usability, configuring correct
defaults is paramount. Imagine if I set my tanks at each dive... I
could do it but subsurface has a default for this which completely
changes the user interaction.
IMHO

#1 basic planner defaults with a recreational diver in minds (tanks,
mix, algo prefs etc...)
#2 tech diving defaults
#3 CCR/pSCR defaults

Part #2 and #3 could be merged in one video depending on duration.

Then, as Jan wrote we should have several "planner use case". Use case
is the correct term for these, whre the user could be a rec (NDL), a
rec-tec (mild deco), tech diver, pSCR diver, CCR diver.

The we could have one or more chapters/video on "advance planner
features" and "tip & tricks" where, stating from one of the above use
cases, we show some amazing features of the planner...

just my 2c

> What I do not like  (and some parts of the user manual have the same
> "issue"), is that examples are given that are not considered save diving
> practice (any more). Such as deep air, not respecting MOD of gasses when
> pointing and clicking trough a dive profile. And the striking example from
> the user manual (ok I get side tracked :-) is a PSCR dive with the last 20
> minutes of the profile in the hypoxic zone of the selected gas. Like I said
> on github: do not try this at home.

I did not realize those scary examples!
They should be removed in a future build.

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos