Problem with XML encoding or file corruption?

Guillaume Gardet guillaume.gardet at free.fr
Mon May 29 03:35:42 PDT 2017

Hi,

I have encountered a problem just now with Subsurface 4.6.4.

Until now, my special chars were ok (é, è, ....) and the XML file was UTF-8.

I have uploaded 6 new dives this morning, save it locally and synced to cloud. I re-opened Subsurface after 1 hour or so and all my special chars are broken.
Launcing subsurface from a terminal indicate :
/home/guillaume/subsurface/guillaume.xml:70: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
   <geo cat='2' origin='0' value='@��?'/>

And the file type is now "Non-ISO extended-ASCII text".

Is it a Subsurface error while saving or a file corruption on disk?

Is there an easy way to recover a proper UTF-8 file?

Guillaume