AppImages and continuous integration (Guillaume Gardet)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Nov 6 03:30:46 PST 2017

> On Nov 6, 2017, at 1:24 AM, Dietrich Meyer <dietrich at sunnynames.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> just tested on openSUSE Leap 42.3, and I get the following error:
>>     ./Subsurface-5196b46-x86_64.AppImage: symbol lookup error:
>>     /lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0: undefined symbol: OPENSSL_init_library>
>> Guillaume
>
> tested the Appimage on Opensuse Tumbleweed, but due to time limitations just a
> quick "start the app, select some dives, edit dive site".  Everything works,
> most of the time.
> Only once there was a problem with connecting to the cloud, but the other
> three times I started the appimage it connected to cloud without problems.

What were the symptoms when you couldn't connect to the cloud? Did it just
time out or did you get an error? Could you test connecting to Facebook? It
would be enough to just open the Share on->Connect to->Facebook screen...
If you get the Facebook login that means that you have a working OpenSSL
stack.

> On the console I get some warnings:
>
> libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
> libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

That likely means that once again some broken PNGs snuck in. I wonder
which ones they are

> qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_client_method
> qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_server_method

I believe this is just an issue of deprecated (insecure) methods that we don't
actually rely on not being found - but I'll believe that I'm not 100% sure.

> The later two not only when cloud connections failed but also when it worked.
> So seems to be not connected to that....

Yes, those two not being found wouldn't be a problem because we don't
use an SSLv2 connection.

> Startup time of the "native" opensuse flavour of subsurface, installed via
> Zypper, seems faster, but that's only my subjective impression, no scientific
> measurements taken...

I would expect the startup time of the AppImage to be somewhat slower as
it needs to extract its own filesystem first, before it can open the dependencies,
so overall it does more work than a native app.

While I obviously encourage testing on all Linux distros, issues on distros
where we have a native version are a tiny bit less worrying than issues
on older versions or unsupported versions. So older Debian, CentOS,
PCLinux, things like that.