thinking about 4.7

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Sep 22 21:41:23 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 05:04:29PM +0200, Dietrich Meyer wrote:
> > Right now I'm building Windows (that gets a decent amount of testing it
> > seems), Mac (not as much), Ubuntu (very little), openSUSE/Fedora (any?).
>
> I am using subsurfacedaily on Opensuse Tumbleweed, installed from the OBS,
> updated to 4.6.4.839-1.1 today.
>
> > If you are regularly / occasionally testing any of these builds, could you
> > respond here, please?
>
> Using it only occasionally as I don't have as much time for diving as I would
> like to have.  But current version 4.6.4.839-1.1 runs fine, loads data from
> cloud storage. Map also works as it should (I have good internet connection
> here). Nice feature to "select visible dive sites"!
>
> Can't test BT nor BTLE download as I am using old Suunto Vyper2 DC.
> Planner for simple non-tech dives (using both recreational mode as well as
> Buehlmann and VPM modes)  works also fine. VPM is a bit slow on my notebook,
> but for my simple needs (how long can I stay down there and search for
> Bruce?), the planner is  definitely great as it is.
>
> So in summary, the version 4.6.4.839-1.1 installed from OBS shows no problems
> on a quick test on opensuse tumbleweed. At least for a non-poweruser like me.
> Anything more specific I could test?

Key things I worry about
a) does the map widget work
b) does printing work
c) can you connect to Facebook

(those three are stuff that is frequently broken)

Then

d) a sanity check that you can download from your dive computer
e) that you can connect to cloud storage

With those 5 things tested, I'd be comfortable that it's not completely
broken...

> Re mobile app: Again, can't test BT nor BTLE.  Download via FTDI and USB-OTG
> on the mobile app worked fine on my Galaxy S5 with LineageOS when I relaxed
> SELinux permissions. I tested this in August on my last dive trip. It was a
> bit annoying that android reset the SELinux rules to strict at reboot, but I
> guess you can't blame subsurface for that....

I still hope for a different USB implementation, but just like everyone
else here, Anton has a lot of other things on his todo list.