intruction

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Apr 21 06:52:32 PDT 2018

Hi Jani,

Welcome to Subsurface!

I started programming a couple of years after you did, but still, it's been quite a while.
Subsurface really needs more Mac / iOS developers (we actually have a couple now, but still, way too few).
There are, however, a few things that are rather unusual about our setup

(1) the code is all in C/C++, not in ObjC.
(2) we tend to have decisions driven by our ability to do things consistently across all our supported platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux/Android/iOS)

(3) because of that we use a fairly unusual UI library (in the Mac/iOS context): Qt and QML - that will likely involve some getting used to
(4) this is open source with no hidden financial tricks, no ads, no nothing - as a result we sometimes make choices that are driven by making it easier for ourselves, the developers

> On Apr 21, 2018, at 3:00 PM, jani at apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> Am 21.04.2018 um 10:30 schrieb jani at apache.org:
>>>
>>> It shows the date as “4/20/18 8:31 PM” even though my iPad setting say it should be “20/4/18 20:31” and I have not had success in changing the date (I want to add at least some of my old dives manually, to test).
>>
>> IIRC (being on the phone right now), the date format is a setting that you have to set in the desktop and which is then synced when you sync your log via the cloud (btw this is not iCloud but a subsurface cloud which is built around gut).
> I suppose that depends how you have set preferences/general. I have selected cloud storage default file, so it should sync.

It should - but it's also possible that there's something broken there - iOS is the platform with by far the fewest users (and active developers)

> I am surprised by the cloud statement, I thought iCloud was used. But it makes sense to use another cloud due to the different platforms.

Yes, see (4) above... I maintain the cloud server, so if people have problems, I can tackle them from the server side. Supporting the "native" cloud environment on each of the platforms plus the "industry standard" ones like Dropbox, Box, OwnCloud, etc would drive up the support burden for us quite a bit

>> Building for iOS is still a bit rough, there are descriptions in the packages iOS folder but you need qt creator and Xcode to work together and like each other. And you need to modify a config file to reflect you Developer key settings.
> I am working my way through and making updates to INSTALL, so stay tuned for a pull request.

GOOD.
I'm on a plane right now (and will be for another few hours - I left Spain this morning, actually) - but I'm looking forward to your contributions... please look at the CONTRIBUTING.md files for useful information about that. One of them is the requirement to sign off on your commits (I just got the email from derek that points that out)

> I have to look closer at the config file, because I avoided adding it to my LibreOffice setup (it is stored in a second file, which are not kept in git, so nobody accidentally commit their developer id).

Always interested in advice how to make things better.