Dive plan: Taking into account isobaric counterdiffusion

Stefan Fuchs sfuchs at gmx.de
Tue Jan 2 05:53:10 PST 2018

Hello Willem,

Am 31.12.2017 um 13:09 schrieb Willem Ferguson:
> I have been looking at ways of providing information in the dive plan
> that aids in managing isobaric counterdiffusion (ICD) during a dive, a
> problem that almost exclusively concerns trimix dives.
>
> I use the IANTD approach (when changing cylinder during deco, increase
> in fraction of N2 in gas should not exceed  a fifth of the
> corresponding decrease in fraction of He). I know this has been
> appropriated by at least some other agencies. I am not aware of other
> formal approaches to this, except for V-planner/Multideco that
> implement an increase in N2-partial pressure beyond a declarable
> critical value as being dangerous. I would like to have some
> opinion/advice/comments from individuals who have dealt with this
> issue for possible implementation in the Subsurface dive planner.
I guess this once again could be an item where either not that many
people are interested at all or where we could start endless discussions
about how to do it ;-)

I am personally interested in this topic so I started to play with your
patch and this is my feedback:
- +1 for implementing s.th. regarding ICD / IBCD
- Ok with choosing this 5% rule of thumbs from IANTD unless someone
clearly shows us that there is a MUCH better approach or e.g. a kind of
2nd/3rd/... limit we could consider additionally
- No real idea where else we could put this code other than in the
plannernotes.c
Ok, this was the easy part, now the more difficult items:
- I already expected people to give negative feedback regarding
cluttering the UI/output - and I would have understood this.
Always adding this additional column in the dive plan table with some
complex info which is needed by almost nobody really doesn't look that
nice. So we need to look for a clever solution for this. I already see a
few options:
x Only show this column for Tx dives (not too difficult but still it
could happen that s.o. want's NOT to see the info)
x Prefs option to switch it on/off (yeah, also cluttering the UI)
x Don't print ICD info into plan/table but only show it as a tool tip
when hovering over the gas in the plan (complex, maybe even not possible)

So short summary: Yes, let's do this but let's find a solution where the
feature is almost invisible for anyone who doesn't need it.

Best regards
Stefan

--

Stefan Fuchs