website translation experiments

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jul 16 07:57:44 PDT 2018

> On Jul 16, 2018, at 3:07 AM, Peter Zaal <peter.zaal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dutch done, almost all strings were already correctly transferred.

Cool

> Btw for the formatting placeholders, ctrl-alt-number didn't work for me, no clue why not, but you can also simply click on the number in the original text en it is then copied to the translated text.

Thanks for that tip, we should collect those as hints for the translators.

> Another question, should and can we use html entities for special characters, e.g. if I want to use an é in the text, can I just put an é, or should we use   é or would this be encoded once more on the site (and literally show "é") ?

That's exactly the kind of thing I want to find out. Feel free to try different things - I'll transfer the result over to the website this morning and then we'll see what works and what doesn't.

> And I know this is just an experiment for now, but maybe it would be nice to have all the webpage resources within a 'Subsurface website' parent if possible. The about resource is now on the same level as subsurface4 and others, but i would be a bit cluttered if all the webpages would come here.

I had problems with Transifex over the weekend. I created a new website project but wasn't able to add resources to it. In the end the only thing I could make work was to put it right where it is now. I agree that this would end up being very cluttered.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Now let's see how this went :-)