website translation experiments

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jul 17 20:45:02 PDT 2018

On July 17, 2018 8:38:10 PM PDT, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Does anyone know how we can translate the headers that are shown
>together
>>> with the images on the main page (e.g.: "Multiplatform", "Log all
>your
>>> dives", etc.)? The captions are on the strings on the "About" page,
>mas the
>>> header are missing...

These are now available, but I broke something else... As I said, these are all experiments...

>> And Transifex Support has responded to my question about the new
>project
>> that will include all of the text for the website.
>> So please don't be surprised if the resources move around suddenly.
>>

>i see that the titles are now available in Transifex under the website
>project. Subsurface project still contains the older version of the
>about
>page. I am assuming we are moving our efforts under the website part.

Yes please. I wanted to make sure I didn't lose anything before deleting them under subsurface

>> I will try REALLY HARD not to lose any translations in the process
>:-)
>>

>One problem that would be nice to be changed is that currently
>untranslated
>pages end up with English texts in the foreign language resulting in
>transifex claiming all strings to be translated. Would be great if
>these
>were empty in Transifex side.

That seems impossible given the way I set things up. I'm still trying to figure out why.

Right now I get errors when I try to create the translations "empty"

>I am also not certain how well this is going to work when pages get
>updated. I.e. previously I have commented that it should be easy to see
>what is falling out of sync on Transifex, but currently I am unsure if
>this
>is true or not. But we will know more when the prototyping continues.

That's why we are doing it :-)