Removing all gps features

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Sep 13 08:25:37 PDT 2021

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 2:01 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:
>
> thank you very much for all your help and all your comments!

Well, since you didn't get it to work, I didn't help all that much...

>> git clone git://github <git://github>.com/subsurface/subsurface
>> ln -s PATHTOQTFORIOS ./Qt
>>
>> Then run essentially the following in as a script:
>>
>> QT_PATH="$(cd Qt ; ls -d 5.*/ios/include/QtCore/5* | tr '.' '_')"
>> QT_VERSION=${QT_PATH##*/}
>>
>> if [ ! -d build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release ] ; then
>>         echo "cannot find the build folder build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release"
>>         echo "creating a new one"
>> fi
>> mkdir -p build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release
>>
>> TOP=$(pwd)
>> cd subsurface
>> bash packaging/ios/build.sh
>>

> This brings me back to yesterday’s error with the architecture confusion.

So that's interesting. I replicated this in a fresh directory and this seems to work on my system.
Which makes me think... did you do this inside an existing build directory? So were there maybe some parts of a build, libraries, something from a previous attempt?
When I get things like this I simply start with a fresh one:

mkdir ~/freshsrc
cd ~/freshsrc
git clone...

If you can run that whole process with output redirected, that would be great. Happy to dig into this (well, not really, but let's say "willing") and compare that to a working run here on my end.
The fact that the GitHub iOS build still works (and that's essentially the first part of the above) seems to indicate that this should work for you as well.

>> Now start Xcode and open the Xcode project in build-Subsurface-mobile-Qt_${QT_VERSION}_for_iOS-Release/Subsurface-mobile.xcodeproj
>> You should be able to build and run that on your device.
>
> The problem is, there is no xcodeproj file. This is supposed to be created by some qmake run at some point, isn’t it?

The xcodeproj file is created in the build.sh as the result of running qmake.
My guess is that either your Qt install is broken (that wouldn't surprise me at all - but you could simply grab the Qt-5.14 dump that we use with the GitHub action)

>> I do this on macOS 10.15 because macOS 11 is a pile of bovine excrement and breaks so many things it's not even funny.
>> And of course I do this on an Intel mac, not an m1 one.
>> None of this is to say that this wouldn't work with macOS 11 or with an m1 mac, it's just that  can't tell you one way or the other.
>
> I am trying this on an old intel MBP with Big Sur...

Yeah - hmm. I know that eventually I'll have to "upgrade" to macOS 11. But that will happen when they stop security updates for 10.15 and not a second before that.

>> Oh, so you are talking about building mobile-on-desktop? That's a different can of worms.
>>
>> rule #1 on macOS - you always, always need to run make install - it sometimes magically works without it, but usually it fails with weird errors.
>
> I can report that at least this did the job. mobile on desktop now runs (but isn’t helpful for the gpx issue as we both noted before, I was only afraid that this is somehow a prerequisite for the iOS build).

It isn't. But for anything related to mobile that doesn't require running in a simulator or on device (like that file sharing thing)... anything else, mobile on desktop is much preferred. Far better developer experience.
Especially when working on QML stuff and using the --testqml= argument (which allows you to test QML changes without having to rebuild the app - brilliant).

>>> Rather cd to packaging/ios and run ./build.sh from there.
>>>
>>> I am at a point where this fails with the kirigami libraries:
>>>
>>> + /Users/Helling/Qt/5.14.0/ios/bin/qmake /Users/Helling/mobile4/subsurface/mobile-widgets/3rdparty/kirigami/kirigami.pro CONFIG+=release
>>> Info: creating stash file /Users/Helling/mobile4/kirigami-build/.qmake.stash
>>> Project ERROR: Cannot run target compiler '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang++'. Output:
>>
>> From the error it seems to simply be confused. Try following the steps above. Before you do that, make sure that you have the current Xcode and that you started it at least once to make sure you clicked on all the accept buttons that it throws at you.
>
> That’s what I thought as well but Xcode seems to be uptodate and also the command-line-tools. I guess what I really need is to get the xcodeproj file somehow.

I am 99% sure that your problem is leftovers from a previous build.
I see that you are using a somewhat older Qt (5.14.0) which should be fine, but there could be something broken with that as well...