Subsurface 5.0.7 has been released

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 25 08:03:52 PDT 2022

> On Mar 25, 2022, at 7:46 AM, Christof Arnosti <charno at charno.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> So, I now get where the problem with the missing Strings is coming from:
>
> I'm using German (Switzerland) locale on my secondary computer. The German (Germany) translation is complete, but the German (Switzerland) translation is not.
>
> I started copying the missing values from German (Germany) to German (Switzerland), but it's a boring manual process (transifex does not seem to provide bulk copying between two translated languages), and I suspect that in the future for new strings the same problem will arise. The difference between the two languages is very small, and to be honest, German (Switzerland) is not a very "relevant" dialect in the sense that people who can read German (Switzerland) are guaranteed to also be able to read German (Germany).
>
> Before I continue my work: Would it be possible to have German (Germany) as fallback language for German (Switzerland)? Thus, if German (Switzerland) is selected, the order of strings would be "German (Switzerland) -> German (Germany) -> English" instead of "German (Switzerland) -> English"?

I don't know if THAT is possible. But I could trivially populate all the strings in the Swiss translation with the de_DE strings and have you just modify those that aren't the same. Would that work for you. I'd be able to do that this evening (so maybe 12 hours from now) - I need to write a small script that does that and then upload the changes to Transifex.

> With this solution, a reasonable user experience would be provided to German (Switzerland) users when Strings are updated, and the German (Switzerland) translation is missing. For the few strings that are different between German (Switzerland) and German (Germany), they could be overwritten in the German (Switzerland) translation. Maybe it would be even better if German (Switzerland) would only contain the few strings that are different in the two dialects, so that Swiss users would also automatically get German (Germany) translation improvements...

I agree. Again, I don't think the infrastructure allows that.