Transifex translation PRs - and a question about the German translation

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Feb 20 01:12:56 PST 2023

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023, 10:57 Robert Helling via subsurface, <
subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> On 20. Feb 2023, at 00:34, Dirk Hohndel via subsurface <
> subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org> wrote:
>
> For those of you working on the German translations - I notice that
> someone started shifting from "Sie" to "Du"... I'd love to have a
> conversation about the preference amongst the German translators... I don't
> have an opinion (I never use software in German), but I want to make sure
> we are consistent.
>

> in those parts where I did German translations I tried to avoid the
> distinction using passive voice etc.
>
> When I did my first diving course in 1994, the instructor explained to us
> right at the start that divers address each other as „Du" (and I understand
> similar rules apply in the mountains above 1000m). So I would opt for
> Subsurface also addressing its users (if it cannot be avoided) by „Du“.
>
> Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren, ich verbleibe fürderhin mit den
> freundlichsten Grüßen.
>
> Hochachtungsvoll
> Dr. Robert Helling
> Oberrat

Dear Subsurface builders,
In writing sections of the documentation I often found that I included to
many pronoun references to users (you, one). Many times the text can simply
be organized to a simple command mode "Select the top button", "when using
nitrox, select the second option". Recognising that 2nd person pronouns
cannot be eliminated all together, my feeling is that the use of second
person pronouns should be absolutely minimized. In the text that I wrote,
2nd person pronouns often just consumed more text space.
Kind regards, Willem.